- Required core rotation
- 6 weeks in length (3 week rotations in inpatient and outpatient settings)
Inpatient Rotation (On-call 1-2 nights/week)
- Mount Nittany Medical Center, including nursery
- Penn State Hershey Medical Group pediatric outreach
- Pathology/clinical lab
Outpatient General Pediatrics
- Acute cases
- Well-child and sports physicals
- Hearing and vision screenings
Outpatient Adolescent Medicine
- Standards of normal growth and development of infants, children and adolescents
- Principles of preventive pediatrics
- Recognition, evaluation, and management of common presenting complaints, common chronic disorders, significant physical findings and diagnostic test results in infants, children and adolescents
- Gain and practice pediatric history and physical exam skills
- Recognize and appreciate the importance of the roles of the family and the community in shaping a child's future and the role of the pediatrician in the comprehensive care of children and adolescents
- Obtain comprehensive newborn, pediatric and adolescent medical histories
- Perform complete and accurate physical examinations in newborns, infants, children, and adolescents
- Differentiate normal from abnormal physical and social development in infants, children, and adolescents
- List methods of disease and injury prevention in the pediatric age group
- Describe symptoms, physical signs, evaluation and management of the common acute and chronic diseases of childhood (as defined in the COMSEP curriculum)
- Create an assessment, problem list, differential diagnosis, and initial evaluation and management plan for common presenting complaints in pediatric patients
- List common disorders of the newborn infant
- Recognize common congenital anomalies
- Attend newborn deliveries and c-sections to learn initial assessments, newborn care and resuscitation
Meet our Faculty
- James Powell, M.D., clerkship site director
- William Chase, M.D.
- Craig Collison, M.D.
- Robert Huffard, M.D.
- Allyson Huggins, M.D.
- Kristie Kaufman, M.D.
- Lisa Klinke, M.D.
- George McCormick, M.D.
- Evan Pattishall, M.D.
- Rachel Schwab, M.D.
- Tracey Trudel, M.D.
- Kate Geier, C.R.N.P.
- Teresa Timmerman, PA-C
- Caryl Waite, PA-C