Rehabilitation services are important to help patients regain strength, functionality, and independence after an illness or injury. Besides treating the condition itself, rehab helps with related medical, physical, social, emotional, and professional problems.
The team at Penn State Hershey Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is dedicated to helping patients achieve as complete a recovery as possible. The physicians and nurses are experts at evaluating patients' conditions to develop a personalized treatment plan that suits each patient's needs.
Physical Medicine and Rehab: Specialty Services
Comprehensive rehab services are offered for a wide range of conditions. Learn more about the services offered and the conditions treated:
- Electrodiagnostic Studies
- Limb Amputation Rehab
- Musculoskeletal Rehab
- Neurological Rehab
- Pain Management
- Pediatric Rehab
- Penn State Hershey Spine Center
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Rehab at Penn State Hershey: Team Approach
Penn State Hershey physicians and therapists take a multidisciplinary approach to patients' rehab treatment. That means that the highly trained rehab professionals work together as a team to care for patients and support their rehab goals.
The members, many certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, include:
- Nurses and nurse practitioners
- Physical, speech, occupational, respiratory, and recreational therapists
- Social workers
Innovative Rehab Therapies at Penn State Hershey
The physicians and therapists offer the latest therapies to promote recovery and build strength and skills. Among the therapeutic innovations are:
- Adaptive sports and recreation
- Inpatient aqua therapy to develop strength and mobility without joint and muscle stress
- Driving therapy to regain skills
- Adaptive apartment for working on activities of daily living
- Complementary alternative therapies such as acupuncture
Home Visits for Rehab Care
As patients progress through the rehab program, their physicians and therapists work together to create a transition-to-home plan. To ensure that patients have a safe transition, the therapists visit patients' homes to assess safety issues.
The professionals at Penn State Hershey then recommend equipment or modifications to aid mobility and keep patients safe, including:
- Grab bars
- Hand rails
- Hospital beds
- Shower chairs
- Walkers or wheelchairs
Depending on each patient's condition and rehab goals, they may need to continue their rehab services. Penn State Hershey provides outpatient care or home visits from therapists or nurses for rehab and medical care.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with a physician or other rehab professional, call or visit the website:
- Call 1-800-243-1455 or 717-531-7010 to speak with an Information and Referral Specialist 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Visit the Find a Physician service to find contact information for physicians, and call directly.