What is Student Health?

Our physicians and nurse practitioners are board certified in Family Practice.  We are available to provide comprehensive primary care health services for the Medical and Graduate students at the Hershey Medical Center and their immediate families.  Nursing students are treated on an acute basis.

What services does Student Health offer?

Our Comprehensive primary care coverage for students includes:

  • Acute and chronic care for medical problems

Preventive healthcare services including GYN and Family planning services

  • Patient advocacy role for any referrals to specialty services
  • A confidential referral system for counseling needs in association with the Department of psychiatry.
  • A 24-hour call coverage system

Where is Student Health located?

University Physician Group-Fishburn Road, 845 Fishburn Road, Hershey, PA.  Take 322 east to Route 743 south (turn right at Fishburn Road). The office is located approximately 3/4 mile on the left.

What are the hours of operation?

Scheduled appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.  The associate/scheduler, Janice Mesarick, is available at extension 5998 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.  If Janice is unavailable the student will follow the voice prompts at this extension.  After 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, as well as Saturday and Sunday, healthcare concerns are forwarded to the hospital nurse triage system.  If the nurse triage system has concerns they are forwarded to the Family Medicine physician on call.

Does Student Health offer a walk-in service?

Fishburn Family Medicine has a walk-in clinic 5-9 pm Mon-Fri and 12-6 pm Sat and Sun. If you use this clinic, please bring your student ID, so the front desk staff can complete your insurance information. This is a first come, first serve clinic.  It is very popular and people can sign in to be seen starting at 4:30 pm.  It can be full or closed after 25 or so people sign in.  Sometimes it has been full by 6 pm.  This clinic is for acute problems only.  If someone comes in to discuss depression or changing medications they are on they will be told to see their primary care doctor.  If a rash develops from a new medication, that is an acute problem that would be appropriate for walk in.  However switching anti depressants, well child, routine pap are not seen at walk in.

After hours (4:30pm-8:00am) there is a nurse available to discuss or triage health concerns.  These nurses are very knowledgeable and have computer protocols to help determine what needs to be seen before the next day.  There is also a physician on call during those times who the nurse can reach if there are further questions.  Nurse Triage can be reached by following the prompts on the Student Health line 531-5998.  It is helpful to talk to the nurse after hours to determine if someone should be seen in the Emergency Department or if home care is appropriate.  (Walk in may also be recommended, although a nurse referral isn't needed for walk in.)   There are also protocols for giving medicines from some routine illnesses, or the physician can be reached to prescribe medicines if appropriate.

The Emergency Department is also available. It is always appropriate to go to the ED if an injury or illness is life, limb or sight threatening.  Most students have United Healthcare Student insurance.  This insurance won't cover non-emergent health concerns seen in the ED.  In other words, if someone chooses to go to the ED for a sprained ankle or sore throat, they may wind up with the bill to cover out of pocket.  Nurse triage, mentioned above, is very useful in helping determine if an illness or injury warrants a trip to the ED.  They are also excellent with home care advice.

What is the cost of the service?

Your insurance will be billed for the cost of your Student Health visit.  If your insurance does not pay for the visit, you will not be responsible for the cost of our physician fees. However, the cost of prescriptions, laboratory tests, and the cost of any medical service provided outside of the Office of Student Health are the responsibility of the students and their insurance carriers.

What if I have an invasive incident?

If a needle stick or other invasive incident occurs, call the Sharps Injury Hotline at 717 531-7775.  Report to Employee Health or to the Emergency Department as directed by the hotline. Report injury or exposure to the supervising physician. Follow up with Employee Health as directed. If the invasive incident occurs at unaffiliated clinic sites or institutions follow the established local policy for exposure. Clinic sites without specific protocol call the Sharps Hotline at 717 531-7775. Students are allowed travel time during a rotation to return to HMC for medical care pertaining to a sharps injury or body fluid exposure.

What type of insurance is required?

All Medical Students are required to have medical/health insurance.  Specific information concerning the schools-affiliated insurance plans is distributed to all students at the beginning of each fall semester.  If one chooses to not participate in the school-affiliated program, the student is required to show proof of equivalent insurance coverage on the waiver application form.

Each student is responsible to understand his/her healthcare policy and coverage.  Services not covered by the student's health insurance plan are the responsibility of the student.

How are referrals to specialists handled?

Referrals to a specialist are provided when deemed necessary by the Student Healthcare providers.

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions please feel free to contact any of us involved with the Office of Student Health.

We look forward to servicing your healthcare needs.




Faculty members who provide psychiatric/psychological counseling or other sensitive health services to medical students will have no involvement in the academic evaluation or promotion of the student receiving those services. 
This policy will be carried out by insuring the following:
There are designated student health providers who will provide health care services to students. These designated student health providers will have no involvement in the academic evaluation or promotion of any medical student. Faculty members who serve on medical student promotion committees, or who serve as course directors will not serve as designated student health providers.
Should emergent or urgent conditions or consultations arise for which a student must see a provider who is not a designated student health provider, that provider must recuse him/herself from any involvement in the academic evaluation or promotion of that student.
The director of student health will not have any involvement with the academic evaluation or promotion of any medical student.
When students are on an away rotation and need health care services, preceptors should refer the student to another member of the practice or physician in the community who can competently care for the student and who have no involvement in the academic evaluation or promotion of medical students receiving their services.
Students, faculty members and staff members will be informed of this policy on a yearly basis.