Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Smart Talk: Colorectal Cancer Awareness -- it can be prevented
As part of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Ray Hohl, director of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, and Dr. Walter Koltun, chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, discussed on WITF-FM's Smart Talk the causes, risk factors, and symptoms of colorectal cancer, treatment options, and what we're learning about this disease. Listen here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Strucko to serve as top financial officer for College of Medicine Eric Strucko has been named Penn State’s associate vice president for finance and business, and controller for Penn State College of Medicine. He will replace Wayne Zolko, who intends to retire June 30 after 31 years of service to Penn State, the College of Medicine and Penn State Hershey Medical Center.More...
- Harrisburg, Lancaster to be first stops for Penn State Coaches Caravan Penn State football coach James Franklin will be joined by five head coaches and eight assistant football coaches during the Penn State Coaches Caravan tour from May 5 to 21. The caravan’s first stops May 5 will be a lunchtime event at a hotel in the Best Western Premier in Harrisburg and an evening reception at the Marriott at Penn Square in Lancaster.More...
- The Medical Minute: How artificial tanning can lead to melanoma Young women may be up on the latest fashions and trends as they prepare for prom season. But what many don’t know is that the tan that looks oh-so-good with their dress may be the first step toward skin cancer. And cancer is not glamorous.More...
- Service honors those who donated their bodies for medical education, research A service of commemoration and gratitude in recognition of those who have given the gift of donating their bodies to medical education and research was held April 27 at the Hershey Cemetery.More...