Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory (PDF) containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory (PDF), also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Inaugural Brain Run 5K event set for Oct. 8 The inaugural Brain Run 5K race/walk will take place Oct. 8 at Milton Hershey School, with proceeds to benefit research and outreach at Penn State College of Medicine.More...
- Upcoming Reynolds Lecture to feature almuna Nancy Collop The Department of Medicine Herbert Y. and Anne L. Reynolds Lecture will be held on Oct. 11. Guest speaker Dr. Nancy A. Collop, a College of Medicine graduate, will present “Sleep Apnea — The Not-So-Silent Disease in Your Waiting Room.”More...
- Training grant addresses need for physician scientists A new National Institutes of Health-sponsored training grant awarded to Penn State College of Medicine addresses the need to develop physician-scientists who are well trained in basic, translational and clinical research.More...
- Conquer Run raises $132,665 for Four Diamonds The Conquer Run, a competitive 5K run and fun walk through Hersheypark, raised more than $132,665 for Four Diamonds at Penn State Children’s Hospital and the fight against childhood cancer. The event, which was held Sept. 24, drew more than 1,000 participants.More...