Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
Please mark your calendars now for the Free Prostate Screening event! This year's event will be held on September 21, 2015. Please check back for further information!
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Homeland Security Program graduate put knowledge to use during marathon bombing When Charlotte Palmer Roy graduated from Penn State College of Medicine’s graduate program in homeland security in 2012, she had no idea her new found knowledge would be put to the ultimate test just one year later during the Boston Marathon bombing.More...
- Steven E. Brown named 2015 Renaissance Fund honoree The President and CEO of Mount Nittany Health, Steven E. Brown, has been named Penn State’s 2015 Renaissance Fund honoree. Brown will be recognized in November at the 39th annual Renaissance Fund dinner.More...
- The Medical Minute: Nicotine poisoning can prove fatal in children The Food and Drug Administration recently announced it intends to require warning labels and child-resistant packaging on liquid nicotine products such as those used in e-cigarettes. But a professor of public health sciences at Penn State College of Medicine says nicotine poisoning is not a new problem.More...
- College of Medicine researcher awarded $225,000 The St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity that raises money for childhood cancer research, has awarded a $225,000, three-year St. Baldrick’s Scholar grant to support the work of George-Lucian Moldovan, a researcher at Penn State College of Medicine.More...