Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
Best Doctors 2013
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
- CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
- Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...
- Penn State Hershey experts to present on IBD In an effort to help patients living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis in central Pennsylvania, Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center experts, led by Dr. Walter Koltun, will host a patient symposium.More...