Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
At Penn State Hershey, you'll find that our surgeons have advanced disease-specific training and are experts in their individualized fields. Because they practice at an academic medical center, they diagnose and treat some of the most complex cases around. Their experience speaks volumes.
Interested in meeting the surgeons behind the hands? Watch video interviews here with some of our surgeons.
Control for an Overactive Bladder
Dr. Vanessa Elliott used an implantable device called InterStim to treat patient Jennifer Pottle's urgency and frequency of urination - both of which she thought would never stop ruling her life. Read Jennifer's story and learn more about InterStim therapy. Watch a video featuring Dr. Elliott here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Hershey Bears make holiday visit to Children’s Hospital The Hershey Bears traded in their hockey sticks for markers, glue and other craft supplies in a visit to brighten the holidays for some of their youngest fans.More...
- The Medical Minute: Full health effects of ‘vaping’ still unknown Cigarettes have been convicted of many crimes over the years. But the jury's still out on whether their younger, more fashionable cousins -- electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes -- will meet the same fate.More...
- The Medical Minute: Many different factors can trigger holiday depression While the holidays are a time of merriment and festivities for many, some people struggle with depression during this time of year. Dr. Erika Saunders, interim chair of psychiatry at Penn State Hershey, says there are some distinct warning signs to watch for.More...
- Cosmetic Surgery Center moves to 30 Hope Drive The Penn State Hershey Cosmetic Surgery Center will move to 30 Hope Drive, Suite 1800 (Entrance A) on Dec. 19. It will share space with the Penn State Hershey Breast Center.More...