Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Free Prostate Cancer Screenings
- Monday, September 19, 2016, 5:00-8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:00-8:00 p.m.
Location: University Physician Center, Suite 3100
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
500 University Drive, Hershey
Appointments are available on a first-call basis. Register today by calling 800-243-1455.
There’s no better time than now to get checked for prostate cancer. Early detection offers men more treatment options with potentially fewer side effects. Talk to your health care provider to find out if screening is right for you.
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory (PDF) containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory (PDF), also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Penn State College of Medicine launches new website A new website for Penn State College of Medicine launched to the public in the evening of Aug. 30.More...
- Student design partners at College of Medicine begin work on new curriculum Five students at Penn State College of Medicine have deferred the start of medical school for a year to serve as student design partners who are helping to shape the curriculum that will guide their medical education.More...
- Successful research requires teamwork Successful research often requires a combination of resources and cooperation that can be challenging to coordinate. Case in point: Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center’s participation in a clinical trial studying the safety of MRI use in patients who are implanted with a specific brand of defibrillator and lead.More...
- Sending a 'We Are!' to this Penn Stater This week, we recognize two people who go above and beyond what's asked of them in their work at the University. We're sending a "We Are!" to Penn Staters with Penn State Hershey and Penn State New Kensington.More...