Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Smart Talk: Colorectal Cancer Awareness -- it can be prevented
As part of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Ray Hohl, director of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, and Dr. Walter Koltun, chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, discussed on WITF-FM's Smart Talk the causes, risk factors, and symptoms of colorectal cancer, treatment options, and what we're learning about this disease. Listen here.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Penn State Hershey appoints new chief financial officer Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has selected Stephen Massini to serve as the medical center’s new chief financial officer, effective April 20.More...
- The Medical Minute: Endometriosis is real -- and it’s treatable Endometriosis is difficult to diagnose, with women often being told for years that they are experiencing their "normal period," and according to the Endometriosis Foundation of America, it affects one in 10 women. Penn State Hershey gynecological surgeon Gerald Harkins is working to get the word out that women with endometriosis do not have to suffer.More...
- Penn State Hershey patient to serve as 2015-16 CMN Hospitals Champion Nine-year-old Caden Capitani of Hershey, a patient at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital, has been named the 2015-16 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Champion for Pennsylvania.More...
- OSLER at Penn State Hershey accepting scholarship applications The Office for Scholarship in Learning and Education Research (OSLER) at Penn State College of Medicine invites faculty members to apply for the second annual Scholarship in Education Award.More...