Penn State Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radio-guided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, MD
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory (PDF) containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory (PDF), also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- The Medical Minute: Music can be good medicine Music may not seem as potent as a pill, but in many cases, it’s just what the doctor ordered -- from music therapy to a program that places arts throughout Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.More...
- Mid Penn donates $11,000 to prostate cancer collaborative A donation from Mid Penn Bank will benefit an effort to improve prostate cancer care throughout central Pennsylvania.More...
- Medical Center unit earns second Gold Beacon Award for Excellence The Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has received a gold level Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN).More...
- Nursing dean, students recognized by Student Nurses' Association of Pennsylvania Paula Milone-Nuzzo, dean of the Penn State College of Nursing, received the 2016 Honorary Member Award from the Student Nurses’ Association of Pennsylvania (SNAP) at its annual state convention Nov. 18 in Lancaster. Also at this year’s convention, Penn State’s SNAP chapter won the Chapter Excellence Award for the second consecutive year.More...