Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Urologic Cancer Web Chat
Do you have questions about prostate cancer or other urologic cancers, such as bladder, kidney or testicular cancers? Log onto abc27.com/chat and join experts from Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute for a live web chat on Tuesday, September 8 from 1-2 p.m. and have your questions answered. Submit your questions early.
Please visit PennStateHershey.org/webchat for more information about the web chat, and sign up for an e-mail reminder.
Free Prostate Cancer Screening
Prostate cancer strikes one in seven American men. There's no better time than now to get checked. Early detection offers men more treatment options with potentially fewer side effects. Register for a free screening on Monday, September 21 or Wednesday, September 23 from 5-8 p.m., University Physician Center, Suite 3100. Call 800-243-1455; screening appointments are available on a first-call basis.
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Children’s Hospital receives cancer research grant from Hyundai Hyundai presented Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital with a $50,000 Hyundai Hope On Wheels Impact Award to Dr. Valerie Brown, who accepted it on behalf of Dr. Barbara Miller. The grant will be used to support the creation of a secure and comprehensive database that will be used in research designed to improve the lives of children fighting cancer.More...
- Meet Dr. Leslie Parent, Penn State Hershey’s new vice dean for research With a career in retrovirology research, a passion for education, and a 24-year history at Penn State Hershey, Dr. Leslie Parent brings a strong skillset to her new position as vice dean for research and graduate education.More...
- Penn State Hershey offering program to help children cope with cancer diagnoses Penn State Hershey Medical Center will host CLIMB -- Children's Lives Include Moments of Bravery -- a free program designed to help children cope when someone they love has cancer by encouraging discussion and creativity.More...
- Committee at College of Medicine seeks nominations for 2016 Woodward Lecturer The Woodward Endowment for Medical Science Education Steering Committee at Penn State College of Medicine is calling for nominations for the 2016 Woodward Lecturer.More...