Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
Best Doctors 2013
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Vaginally administered ED medication may alleviate menstrual cramping Women with moderate to severe menstrual cramps may find relief in a class of erectile dysfunction drugs, according to a team of researchers led by Penn State College of Medicines Richard Legro.More...
- This week is Inflammatory Bowel Disease Awareness Week Dec. 1-7 is National Crohn’s and Colitis Awareness Week. The Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center is the only multi-disciplinary program in the region for patients living with these diseases.More...
- Progress in Personalized Medicine at Penn State The next Research Quality Assurance Lunchtime Lecture is “Progress in Personalized Medicine at Penn State.” It will be presented by James R. Broach, professor and chair, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, director, Penn State Hershey Institute for Personalized Medicine.More...
- Radiology education professor Flemming to present as distinguished educator A Conversation with Distinguished Educators will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11, in C4702 (Physiology Conference Room) on the Penn State College of Medicine campus. Dr. Donald Flemming, G. Victor Rohrer Professor of Radiology Education and vice chair for education, will present “The Challenges of Defining and Assessing Competency.”More...