There are several studies ongoing in the Penn State Surgical Weight Loss Program, including:
- An investigation into the improvement of knee pain and back pain after significant weight loss.
- An investigation on increased blood flow to the heart after significant weight loss.
- A study on the effects of significant weight loss on fertility.
- A study on the incidence of iron-deficiency anemia after gastric bypass.
- Various studies on changes in gut and brain hormones after weight loss surgery and how they affect diabetes, hypertension, and the sense of taste.
- Investigations into minimal-incision and natural orifice approaches to weight loss surgery.