Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
You are invited to:
3D Bio-Printing Summit
April 9, 2014
Penn State University Millennium Science Complex, Room W306
Simulcast at the University Conference Center at
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Featuring Key Note addresses by:
William Warren, Ph.D., Head of VaxDesign Campus
Philip LeDuc, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
Click here for complete agenda
Admission is free of charge, but please indicate your attendance by emailing email@example.com
Sponsored by the University Health Sciences Council
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
Ebola outbreak shows need for education in public health preparedness
The 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa has underscored the importance of the education and training that people need to respond to global health crises. An online master’s degree and graduate certificate from Penn State can help prepare people for those kinds of jobs.More...
The Medical Minute: Information is power for women at high risk of breast cancer
Now that medical professionals have identified gene mutations that predispose for breast cancer, patients can take proactive steps to reduce their risk. Many cases of breast cancer seem to have no genetic link, but people with a strong family history of cancer should consider getting tested to see if they carry a mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.More...
Best-selling author and eating disorder survivor to speak about recovery
Penn State Hershey Eating Disorders Clinic invites the community to a free program with a best-selling author at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 28. “Step By Step: Turn Your Worst Moments Into Your Greatest Achievements” will be presented by Brian Cuban, a 1983 Penn State graduate, and author of the Amazon best-selling book "Shattered Image: My Triumph Over Body Dysmorphic Disorder."More...
Medical student receives fellowship in tropical medicine
Kimberly Faldetta, a medical student at Penn State College of Medicine, has been named a 2014 Benjamin H. Kean Travel Fellow by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. This nationally competitive fellowship awards program provided Faldetta with funding for her project in the field of tropical medicine.More...