Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
You are invited to:
3D Bio-Printing Summit
April 9, 2014
Penn State University Millennium Science Complex, Room W306
Simulcast at the University Conference Center at
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Featuring Key Note addresses by:
William Warren, Ph.D., Head of VaxDesign Campus
Philip LeDuc, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
Click here for complete agenda
Admission is free of charge, but please indicate your attendance by emailing email@example.com
Sponsored by the University Health Sciences Council
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
Hershey Community Garden vies for grant in online competition
The Hershey Community Garden is a nominee for a grant from Seeds of Change, an organic seed company. In order to win a grant, the Community Garden needs the help of the entire Penn State Hershey community to vote. Click on this link to vote: http://www.seedsofchangegrant.com/TheGallery.aspxMore...
Special lighting of the Crescent building recognizes upcoming occasions
As part of an ongoing effort to reduce energy usage and operate in a more cost efficient and environmentally friendly manner, Penn State Hershey installed an LED lighting system to illuminate its signature Crescent building, replacing the original and less efficient facade lighting. This week, the building is lit in blue in honor of National Child Abuse Awareness Month.More...
Presentation to explore the world of modern day slavery
Penn State Hershey will host a presentation by advocacy group Women at Risk Int’l titled “Modern Day Slavery: Trafficking & Exploitation of Vulnerable Women” at noon April 23 in Lecture Room C.More...
Pinwheel garden set up in recognition of Child Abuse Prevention Month
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, a time to recognize that everyone can play a part in promoting the social and emotional well-being of children and families in the community. Over the last week, new decorations have popped up on the lawn of Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...