Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Louise Sandmeyer and Mike Dooris from the Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment will be conducting the focus group meetings in mid June. Please direct questions to Deirdre C. Weaver at email@example.com.
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
Junior Faculty Development Program recognizes 2012-13 graduates
On Thursday, May 30, 26 junior Penn State College of Medicine faculty and their mentors celebrated completion of the College of Medicine’s Junior Faculty Development Program, sponsored by the Office of Professional Development.More...
Volunteers needed for acne study
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center’s Dr. Diane Thiboutot is testing the effectiveness of an investigational acne medication. Volunteers are needed for this study.More...
Penn State Hershey nursing awards recognize leadership, exemplary practice
In celebration of the 2013 National Nurses Week in May, the Department of Nursing and Chief Nursing Officer Sherry Kwater presented awards to several members of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center nursing staff during the annual Nursing Awards Ceremony.More...
Penn State Hershey expands in Elizabethtown
Construction began on additional clinic space this month at the Penn State Hershey Medical Group-Elizabethtown location.More...