Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
"Exploring 3-D Bio-Printing"
Hosted by The University Health Sciences Council
Wednesday, April 9th, 2014
Please join us for this day-long conference where we will examine the current state and future possibilities of 3-D Bio-Printing The conference sessions will be held jointly at both the Penn State Hershey University Conference Center and on the University Park campus of Penn State (location TBD)
Further information including speakers and session times and topics will be distributed at a later date For additional information contact: Cindy Lynch, Office of the CEO and Dean at email@example.com.
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
Penn State Hershey undergoing final phase of radiology expansion
Ongoing renovations to the radiology area on the ground floor of the hospital at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center will make room for additional equipment and give admitted patients awaiting diagnostic procedures a more accessible, private space.More...
Innovation key to Penn State Hershey’s future, says medical center's CEO
Penn State's medical school, university hospital and health system continue to be a magnet for future health professionals, a preferred medical destination for patients across Pennsylvania, and a pioneer in personalized medicine research according to Harold L. Paz, Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Health System CEO and Penn State’s senior vice president for health affairs and dean of Penn State College of Medicine.More...
The Medical Minute: Some thoughts about organics and 'superfoods'
Winter has worn out its welcome. People are eagerly looking forward to the warm weather, getting outside, and indulging once again in fresh, local produce. As consumers inundated with choices, we often wonder what’s the best food to purchase -- to go organic or not.More...
Penn State Hershey IBD experts to host event at Penn State York
In an effort to help patients in the York County area living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis, experts with Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center will host a patient symposium on from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the rehearsal room of the Pullo Performing Arts Center on the Penn State York campus.More...