Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
You are invited to:
3D Bio-Printing Summit
April 9, 2014
Penn State University Millennium Science Complex, Room W306
Simulcast at the University Conference Center at
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Featuring Key Note addresses by:
William Warren, Ph.D., Head of VaxDesign Campus
Philip LeDuc, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
Click here for complete agenda
Admission is free of charge, but please indicate your attendance by emailing email@example.com
Sponsored by the University Health Sciences Council
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
New network unites university health care research
Four major health institutions, including Penn State College of Medicine, have jointly received nearly $7 million to develop and expand a health data research network.More...
PRO Wellness Center awarded nearly $2 million by PA Department of Health
Penn State Hershey PRO Wellness Center has received nearly $2 million from the Pennsylvania Department of Health to facilitate programs focused on healthy eating and exercise in 15 school districts (81 schools) across the commonwealth.More...
Penn State Hershey exceeds ‘For the Future’ campaign goal
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has surpassed the $300 million goal of its most ambitious fundraising initiative to date, raising $306,476,284 in private support.More...
Football team visits Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital
Core value No. 1 for Penn State Football is ensuring that every member of the program has a positive attitude at all times. When the entire team boarded three buses on Wednesday (July 23) afternoon, head coach James Franklin and the Nittany Lions set out on a mission to make a visit to Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital one filled with positivity and enthusiasm.More...