Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
You are invited to:
3D Bio-Printing Summit
April 9, 2014
Penn State University Millennium Science Complex, Room W306
Simulcast at the University Conference Center at
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Featuring Key Note addresses by:
William Warren, Ph.D., Head of VaxDesign Campus
Philip LeDuc, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
Click here for complete agenda
Admission is free of charge, but please indicate your attendance by emailing email@example.com
Sponsored by the University Health Sciences Council
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
New Head and Neck Cancer Support Group starts April 27
The head and neck cancer team at Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute will host the inaugural Head and Neck Cancer Support Group from 2 to 3 p.m. Sunday, April 27, at the University Conference Center, Room 302A, on the Penn State Hershey campus.More...
April is National Donate Life Month
It’s a fact that one person can save the lives of up to eight others and improve the lives of many more through organ, eye, and tissue donation.More...
Adult Cochlear Implant Support Group to meet on May 8
May is Better Speech and Hearing Month. Celebrate May by helping people communicate better. The Penn State Hershey Departments of Otolaryngology and Audiology will host the Adult Cochlear Implant Support Group meeting on May 8.More...
IPM Symposium set for May 16
The 2014 Penn State Hershey Institute for Personalized Medicine Symposium will be held from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on May 16, bringing together the brightest in the field of personalized and genomic medicine.More...