- Child Life - Interact with children under the direction of a child life specialist.
- Children's Hospital assignments - support programs
- Clerical - Perform clerical duties within various departments
- Emergency Room - Assist staff, run errands
- Escort - Guide visitors and ambulatory patients
- Flower Cart - Deliver flowers to patients
- Gift Shop / Campus Bookstore - Sell merchandise to patients, staff, and visitors
- Information Desk - Greet and direct visitors
- Mail Services - Sort and deliver patient mail
- Outpatient Services - Run errands in the outpatient clinic areas
- Pet Therapy - Dogs must be certified through one of the major national or regional Therapy Dog organizations.
- Proctor - Supervise medical student testing
- Ronald McDonald Family Room Host - Assist families in the Children's Hospital
- Special Projects - Miscellaneous assistance with different short-term projects
- Tour Guide - Conduct tours of Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Waiting Room Host - Support families in the various waiting areas
Volunteers are an integral component of the Child Life program of Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. They assist the Child Life Specialists by providing age-appropriate recreational activities to hospitalized children and teens. Many of our pediatric patients are facing life threatening illnesses and critical situations. Often these children spend a lot of time in the hospital. Because of this, consistent caregivers are an essential part of treatment. The following guidelines have been established to ensure our commitment:
- Volunteers must commit to at least 6 months or 1 semester of college. Many of our volunteers choose to stay much longer!
- Volunteers must be able to commit to the same day and time period each week.
- Volunteer opportunities in Child Life:
- Monday through Friday: 8:30am to 12:00noon, 1:00pm to 4:00pm, and 6:00pm to 9:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8:30am to 12:00noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Outpatient Specialty Area
If you are interested and able to commit to the above guidelines, please submit our volunteer application. Additional information will be required after orientation.
An orientation is mandatory.
Please contact us by calling 717-531-8278 or 717-531-6310 at the Volunteer Office for more information.
Two interviews will be scheduled after the orientation. The first interview will be with the Manager of Volunteer Services and the second interview will be with one of our Child Life Specialists. This is a very popular volunteer assignment and positions are not always available. Please understand that our priority must always be the needs of our pediatric patients.
We have reached maximum capacity for NEW Teen Volunteers for 2014. Thank you for your interest.
Please note that when you submit your application, a Health Screening form will appear for you to print out. The Teen Volunteer program application process will close down when we reach 110 teens.
Orientation for 2014 will be held Monday, April 28, 2014 at 6:00pm in the Hospital Auditorium.
- Free TB testing through the HMC Employee Health Department will be available on April 28 from 5:00 - 6:00 pm (before orientation). You may also choose to have TB testing by your family physician at your expense.
- Our program consists of an eight-week commitment during the summer only.
- Each teen will be scheduled for one four-hour shift per week on a weekday (Monday - Friday only).
- Our program does not include volunteering during the school year.
- Teens must be 14 years old or older before the program starts in June to participate in our program.
- An interview for acceptance and placement will be scheduled after orientation. A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign documentation of understanding and consent.
- If you are a RETURNING TEEN you do not have to attend orientation, but TB testing is mandatory.
- Please contact the Volunteer Office at 717-531-8278 or 717-531-6310 between March 1 and April 17 to let us know you are returning.
- DO NOT SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION. Thank you!